Chief Minister Stand on Balochistan resource

Published on – November 9, 2018 – 6:00 am
By

Balochistan is the least developed province of Pakistan and it is irony of fate that its representation in the Federal Government, its departments and institutions, is sub-zero. Thus there is no one to defend the legitimate interests of Balochistan and its overwhelming majority of people. In other words the Balochs are discriminated and denied even jobs and posting in Federal Government and its Departments.


Balochistan is the least developed province of Pakistan and it is irony of fate that its representation in the Federal Government, its departments and institutions, is sub-zero. Thus there is no one to defend the legitimate interests of Balochistan and its overwhelming majority of people. In other words the Balochs are discriminated and denied even jobs and posting in Federal Government and its Departments. The tiny cultural minority is given preference in all fields, including in media, and it shows the contempt towards the majority Baloch or the real owner of the Baloch Unit of the Pakistani Federation. The Chief Minister registered his strong protest and the message was well received in the concerned quarters of the Federal Government that Islamabad will have to change its attitude or the mind-set and should stop treating mega sensitive Balochistan as a Tehsil no importance to its basic economic needs, particularly a decent infrastructure for future development. Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan has said the provincial government has denied land ownership to Chinese companies. Talking to the media on Wednesday at the conclusion of his five-day visit to China along with Prime Minister Imran Khan, he said the government wanted equal share in the province’s land resources. He revealed that Chinese companies had been pressurising for land ownership in Gwadar. Kaml said the government would not compromise on the natural resources of the province, calling them the ‘only assets of Balochistan’. The CM said that during a recent meeting, the provincial cabinet had decided to provide land to Chinese companies only on lease or rent. He said unless the revenue structure in Balochistan was revamped, the coming governments would keep facing financial issues. Thus the Chinese companies are making an investment of around 37 billion US dollar in the Province of Punjab. All these investment being made in the Punjab had nothing to do with the CPEC as a direct investment agreed as a result of bilateral agreements. Other provinces should approach China or other friendly countries bring direct investment in their respective provinces for which the Punjab should have no objection. Thus, the CPEC had been reduced to a political project of the present Government which is being used to raise hopes among the innocent people about a possible economic turnaround in the present crippling economic crisis. No other province of Pakistan enjoys unlimited resources on which the world had an eye In a November 2017 briefing to the Senate, Hasil Bizenjo, then federal minister for ports and fisheries, confirmed that China would receive 91 per cent of Gwadar port-generated profits over 40 years and the Gwadar Port Authority, controlled by the federal government, the remaining 9 per cent; Balochistan’s provincial government would get nothing. The Port of Singapore Authority, the previous Gwadar port operator, had the same lopsided terms but many local officials and business community representatives believed that Islamabad should have renegotiated them with the Chinese operator. “As details emerge, there is more alarm about how much CPEC actually offers Balochistan”, said an expert with deep knowledge of Gwadar. There are concerns that there might not be any constitutional protection in place for CPEC-related agreements and MoUs inked between China and Pakistan. It is obvious — even to visiting Chinese delegates — that our leaders care very little about the opinions of the indigenous people. CPEC is a national project whereby all provinces should be involved in the decision making process. Otherwise the lack of trust will remain which will compromise the project and deadlines will be missed. Chief Minister Jam Kamal stand on Balochistan resource should be appreciated. We also suggest that the Government should hand over control of all development projects to Balochistan Government as they had been operating on the basis of mineral wealth of Balochistan for the past half a century or more.